Most Active Stories
- Podcast Special: Crime Writers On Serial, Episode 10 Discussion
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
Around the Nation
Mon August 20, 2012
Why Did The Hypersonic 'Waverider' Crash?
Originally published on Mon August 20, 2012 6:02 pm
The U.S. Air Force is investigating what happened to the X-51 Waverider aircraft that fell into the Pacific last week. The X-51 is part of an Air Force/DARPA research project trying to build a "scramjet" engine that will work at hypersonic speeds. NPR's Larry Abramson reports.