The president of Dartmouth College is announcing his plan to address sexual assault, high-risk drinking and a lack of inclusivity on the Ivy League campus.
Philip Hanlon, who has led Dartmouth since mid-2013, created a "Moving Dartmouth Forward" steering committee last April to study the problems he said were compromising the school's core mission. The committee recently submitted its report to Hanlon, who will deliver his response to students, faculty and staff Thursday morning.
FairPoint Communications has agreed to hold public meetings around New Hampshire to discuss its service levels as part of a $13 million contract to provide Internet and telecommunications services for the state.
The Executive Council approved the contract Wednesday after putting it off last month due to service concerns. About 1,700 FairPoint workers in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont have been on strike since October over stalled contract negotiations, and the state has received increased complaints about services during the strike.
The state Department of Health and Human Services stopped accepting applications for medical marijuana dispensary licenses this afternoon.
As of Wednesday morning, the state had received 14 applications. Though DHHS officials are tightlipped about who applied and for what locations, contract director Eric Borrin says that all four areas of the state are represented.
“A majority of the folks that submitted letters of intent did respond with full applications.”
A staggering two feet of snow landed in southern New Hampshire yesterday. And while it didn’t create any disasters, many in the Nashua area are digging their way out.
As Tuesday’s storm bogged the Nashua region with heaping banks of fluffy snow, many hunkered in their homes. That made it easier for city crews to work through the day and night, clearing the roads for Wednesday.
While most businesses reopened, public schools remained closed, and many residents are still clearing the snow from their cars and driveways.
Can you safely take a storm photo? , and make sure to tell us the town in which it was taken. Email it our way!
8:13 a.m. Wednesday: Nashua, Durham Work to Get Back to Normal
Rick Ganley speaks with Nashua's Emergency Management Director Justin Kates and Durham Town Administrator Todd Selig about cleanup efforts.
Cleanup is underway across New Hampshire today, after yesterday’s blizzard.
We check in with two communities hit hardest by the storm: Nashua and Durham.
Let’s start with Nashua, which saw 33 inches of snow.
Justin Kates is the city’s director of emergency management.
How are things looking this morning?
I think we’ve made significant improvements. We’ve had crews out all night. We had crews out all day yesterday. These plow drivers have really been working nonstop to clear those roads as much as possible. We’re seeing some really good improvements today.
Do you feel confident that roads are clear enough that people can get out and about this morning?
I do. I think the big concern for folks is they’re going to want to give themselves some extra time this morning to ensure their driveways are clear. Those roads are still a little icy, so it’s still important for people to drive safe if they have to go out this morning.
What about parking on city streets?
At 10 a.m. this morning, parking will be allowed on city streets as well as those municipal surface lots.
What about other concerns besides roadways? Have there been any other lingering issues from the storm?
Thankfully with this storm, we didn’t have any power outages, which certainly brings a concern to the emergency management office. We didn’t have to open up any shelters and for the most part, it was just a significant snow event that really impacted our public works department. Thankfully, there weren’t really any other concerns other than keeping those streets clear.
Speaking of your public works department, how about the budget? We’ve got many more storms on the horizon and it’s only the end of January.
One of the things I think we do pretty well in the city is to plan for these kinds of events. There’s a snow budget already in place here in the city as well as a trust fund in the event that we have one of those significant winters like we’ve had in the past. I think we’re ready to go if we see continue to see more snow like this throughout the winter.
Durham Town Administrator Todd Selig also joined Morning Edition.
What are you seeing in Durham today?
We had quite a storm yesterday. We took measurements yesterday evening and parts of Durham had up to 28 inches of snow.
How’s it looking for snow removal?
It’s been hard sledding, to be honest with you. A storm like this requires that our snow fighters in the public works department sometimes go for as long as 24 hours with only short breaks for meals and naps. At this time, we have more or less had to send all of our staff home to rest because they had been going more than a day without stopping.
We have all of our main roads cleared. We have most of the sidewalks in the downtown cleared. But all of the sidewalks extending into our ancillary neighborhoods, around the downtown into some of the more distant parts of the community will have to wait for about another day so we can muster the resources to clear those out.
Looking ahead, there are some other storms on the horizon. How’s the town budget?
The town budget is good. We begin our fiscal year Jan. 1, so we’ve really just begun with a new fiscal year. I have to say we were running on fumes until Dec. 31, but we’re recharged now with a new fiscal year. That’s good news, but storms like this are costly. In salt alone, Durham went through about $10,000 in this storm. And the total cost of cleanup is going to be somewhere between $25,000 and $35,000. I’m betting around $35,000, toward the high end.
When do you feel like you’ll be back to normal in Durham?
It’s hard because clearing the roads is just the first step. In the downtown in particular, we have very large snow piles and we need to bring in special loaders and dump trucks in order to cart all of that snow away. To make matters worse, we have more snow coming in this weekend, with more than a foot or more expected next Monday.
6:16 a.m. Wednesday: Cleaning up the Mess
New Hampshire is digging out from a strong winter storm that dumped more than two feet of snow in some places.
Gov. Maggie Hassan said government will reopen Wednesday after shutting down when the storm blew through on Tuesday. Some schools will remain closed for a second day and strong winds into Tuesday night meant snow drifts were likely to pop up on some roads.
Snowfall totals ranged from a few inches north of the White Mountains to more than 3 feet along the coast. Wind speeds of 30 to 35 mph and gusts up to 50 mph blew drifts that reached rooflines in some places.
Wednesday is expected to be cold and dry but more snow could reach the state starting Thursday night.
5:10 p.m. Tuesday: Overview of the Storm
A major winter storm blanketed New Hampshire Tuesday, but ample warning, a declared state of emergency and what Gov. Maggie Hassan called good old Granite State common sense kept problems to a minimum. Here's an overview of the storm so far, via The Associated Press:
State government is set to reopen Wednesday, after shutting down Tuesday due to a blizzard that hit the Granite State.
An Executive Council meeting scheduled for this morning has been moved to noon.
In the House, committees are set to holding hearings on a number of bills, including one that would allow 17-year-olds who would be eligible to vote in a general election to cast a ballot in that election’s primary.
The Bureau of Homeless and Housing Services in New Hampshire's Health Department is holding a count to identify the number of homeless people within a 24-hour period.
The count on Wednesday is a combined effort between three local groups that work with the homeless in Nashua, Manchester and elsewhere and coordinate with the New Hampshire Coalition to End Homelessness.
New Hampshire is getting more than $6.6 million in grants to support 68 homeless housing and service programs in the state.
The U.S. Housing and Urban Development grants cover street outreach, client assessment, and direct housing assistance.
The funding also will allow local providers to continue offering permanent and transitional housing to homeless people, as well as job training, health care, mental health counseling, substance abuse treatment and child care.
Three parole officers who planned to seek a license to run one of four medical marijuana dispensaries in the state have pulled out of the application process.
Rex Bunnell and his partners had hoped to run what New Hampshire’s medical marijuana law calls an ‘Alternative Treatment Center’ in Concord. But a financial backer decided not to invest $1.7 million into the venture.
“So they pulled their money out and when they did that, that only gave us a little less than a week to try to come up with a substantial amount of money.”
The lab assists the state commissioner of agriculture and the state veterinarian in their efforts to monitor and control important animal diseases. It also provides diagnostic services to hundreds of veterinarians from New Hampshire and New England who use the lab's services for the diagnosis of animal diseases in pets, farm animals, wildlife, zoo and marine animals.
The unlicensed New Hampshire driver charged with plowing into a group of bicyclists last year, killing two Massachusetts women, is set to plead guilty.
Darriean Hess is scheduled to plead guilty Monday to two counts each of manslaughter and second-degree assault.
Police say the 20-year-old Seabrook woman was ticketed for speeding Sept. 21, 2013. Eight hours later, she was speeding on the same road and under the influence of drugs when she ran into the cyclists in Hampton.
Rob Carolan with Hometown Forecast says snow will start falling Saturday morning, between 6 and 8.
“This is mainly going to be a storm for the southern half of the state. It looks like south of the White Mountains is where the worst of it is going to be, particularly the Merrimack Valley and the Seacoast,” he said.
He says that region could see as much as seven inches.
Prosecutors want one trial for the man accused of kidnapping, imprisoning and raping a northern New Hampshire girl over nine months.
Nathaniel Kibby was charged in December with more than 200 counts in Coos County and five counts in Carroll County.
Prosecutors say the 34-year-old Kibby kidnapped the 14-year-old on her way home from school in Conway on Oct. 9, 2013. They say he kept her in his Gorham home and in a storage unit until July 2014 when she returned home. He was arrested a week later.
Opponents of a proposed natural gas pipeline expansion in Southern New Hampshire are set to go before the town council in Merrimack Thursday night.
Debra Huffman is a Merrimack resident, and says the group's goal is to raise awareness of the potential impact of the project on the town.
"Many, many residents in Merrimack don't even know this pipeline is coming and they don't even understand what this pipeline is," she said. "It's very different from a distribution line that they might be used to. This is a transmission line, which is a very different sort of installation."
New Hampshire corrections officials are cancelling visits, classes and at least one parole board hearing at the state prison in Concord to prevent further flu contagion.
Officials took those measures Wednesday after inmates in three housing units exhibited flu symptoms. The cancellations remain in effect at least through noon on Jan. 26. At that time prison officials will determine whether the cancellations need to be extended.
Parole board hearings scheduled for Jan. 22 have been cancelled.
According to new data from the federal government, 46,642 New Hampshire residents now have insurance through the federal healthcare marketplace. That figure includes people who have enrolled since November, and others whose plans from last year automatically renewed.
About 40,000 residents signed up last year, when New Hampshire's online exchange had only one insurer. But during this enrollment period, there are five insurers offering about 40 plans. Uninsured Granite Staters have until February 15 to sign up for a plan, or they could face a tax penalty.
As of January 1, cities and towns in N.H. have new teeth to keep landlords from letting their property get messy or run down. On Tuesday, the city of Somersworth put this new authority to use.
Although Somersworth has spent the last year giving itself a makeover by redeveloping much of its downtown, authorities have had a hard time getting some landlords to maintain their properties. It's a problem a lot of communities face.
Reactions to President Obama’s State of the Union address predictably fell along party lines among New Hampshire’s Congressional delegation.
Democratic Sen. Jeanne Shaheen says she’s encouraged by the proposals outlined by the president in Tuesday night’s speech.
“Whether it’s efforts to make higher education more affordable for young people, reforming our tax code, or investing in alternative energy sources to lower costs to create jobs, Congress should now renew our commitment to growing our economy and helping small businesses succeed,” Shaheen said in a statement.
A Republican state senator says allowing New Hampshire residents to buy health insurance across state lines would increase competition and lower costs, but the state Insurance Department says his proposal would not accomplish those goals.
Sen. Andy Sanborn of Bedford told the Senate Commerce Committee on Tuesday that if a health plan in another state meets federal requirements under the Affordable Care Act, there's no reason why New Hampshire residents shouldn't be able to buy it. He says if a plan is good enough for Alabama, it should be good enough for New Hampshire.
Senator Jeanne Shaheen has invited a Portsmouth firefighter as her guest at President Barack Obama's State of the Union Address in Washington.
Bill McQuillen, who is secretary-treasurer of the Professional Fire Fighters of New Hampshire, will sit in the audience Tuesday for the president's speech. Shaheen said it's an honor to host McQuillen in Washington to show her appreciate for all that he and his fellow first responders do for New Hampshire year-round.
The organizers of the Keene Pumpkin Fest have proposed a new public safety arrangement for next year’s event.
The organizers only want to be responsible for safety and security within the festival’s footprint.
In a Facebook post, Let It Shine, Inc. – the Pumpkin Festival’s non-profit organizer – said in 2015 it would like the city of Keene and Keene State College to take charge of controlling rowdy college students in neighborhoods near the event.