Tue October 30, 2012
Top Stories: Gov. Lynch Declares State of Emergency; UNH Poll Points To Hassan To Win
Gov. John Lynch declared a state of emergency as the National Weather Service forecast wind gusts of up to 70 mph. New Hampshire National Guard troops were at the ready.
The second in a series of polls out this week from WMUR and the UNH Survey Center predicts that Democrats will win the governorship and majorities in both the House and Senate.
3. NH News: Two Killed In Small Plane Crash Near I-93
New Hampshire State Police say there's been a plane crash near Interstate 93 in Hooksett. The state's Department of Safety confirms that two people have died, Herman and Doris Hassinger, both age 83, of Rhode Island.
4. North Country: A New Tactic For Northern Pass Opponents: Boycott Montreal
John Bennett, the executive director of the Sierra Club Canada, disappointed a group of about 100 Northern Pass opponents when he told them their efforts have received little media attention in Canada. Asked for advice, Bennett paused and then offered an idea: A tourism boycott of Montreal.
5. North Country: Bagging The Season's First Moose
This week marks both the beginning and end of moose hunting season. The prospect of bagging the New Hampshire icon draws thousands of hunters from around the country, but a limited number of permits mean only a small percentage ever get a moose in their sights.
6. NH News: Plane Crash Victims Had Ties to N.H.
Herman Hassinger made his mark in New Hampshire on the campus of the 190-year old New Hampton School.
7. Elections 2012: WMUR/UNH Poll Finds Obama Holds Lead, Romney Lags With Women
The latest poll from WMUR and the UNH Survey Center shows President Obama maintaining a slight lead over Governor Mitt Romney in the Granite State.
8. The Exchange: Taking the Temperature of the North Country Economy
Mixed news has recently come from the top part of our state. The long awaited prison in Berlin is now open, and the popular ATV park is expanding, but unemployment there is higher than the state average and in recent months has gone up.
9. All Things Considered: Plane in I-93 Crash Once Made Emergency Landing in Nashua
Two people are dead after their plane crashed alongside Interstate 93 in Hooksett. NHPR’s Sam Evans-Brown was on the scene. He tells All Things Considered host Brady Carlson about what police have confirmed about the Doris and Herman Hassenger, the people killed in the crash, and about the plane's history.
10. North Country: Worrying About Hurricane Sandy, White Mountain National Forest Urges Caution
Officials at the White Mountain National Forest are urging people to stay out of the more remote areas known as the backcountry. Hazards could range from flooding to falling trees.