NHPR News covered hundreds of stories in 2017. They ranged from the sublime (see Todd Bookman's story about an amateur synchronized swimming team in Hancock), to the tragic - such as Jack Rodolico's Heroin Diaries, in which a wife of an overdose victim discovers his videos chronicling his struggle.
(Stories about opioid misuse were common. They inspired the special series, "Alternatives: New Hampshire Gets Creative to Curb Ongoing Opioid Crisis.")
Other hot topics in 2017 included voting reform and voter rights, marijuana legislation, immigration, a series on ATVs in New Hampshire, the high-profile escapades of "rogue bears" in Hanover, and - in one of the most-read articles on NHPR.org - the story of that "Chicken Farmer I Still Love You' rock.
Scroll down to explore those and other NHPR news stories that got the most attention in 2017. And if you have a favorite story you don't see below, you can share it on NHPR Facebook page or send us an email.
JANUARY TOP STORIES
- N.H. Senate Passes Concealed Carry Gun Bill
- How the Drug Crisis is Reshaping One Busy New Hampshire Hospital
- Dozens Held on Low Bail For Nonviolent Crimes at Valley Street Jail
- How to Celebrate (Or Protest) Trump’s Inauguration Without Leaving N.H.
- Hassan Presses DeVos on Enforcing Protections for Students with Disabilities
FEBRUARY TOP STORIES
- Where Were Out-of-State IDs Used to Vote in New Hampshire Last November?
- A 171-Foot-Tall North Country Landmark Brought Back to Life for One More Jump
- Police Reporting of Unauthorized Immigrants Varies Dramatically Between N.H. Towns
- A Florida-based Think Tank Is Behind a Bill That Would Limit Food Stamp Eligibility in N.H.
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Doctor, Wife Kept Apart After Trump’s Immigration Executive Order
- Transgender Teen Speaks Out On Trump Rolling Back Protections, New Hampshire Bill
MARCH TOP STORIES
- Minimum Age of Marriage in N.H. Remains 13 for Women, 14 for Men
- N.H. House Overwhelmingly Passes Measures to Loosen State’s Marijuana Laws
- Made in New Hampshire: Manufacturing’s Rise and Fall in Manchester
- New Hampshire State Senator Scott McGilvray Dies
- For Some Former Service Members, “Ask The Question” Campaign Redefines “Veteran”
APRIL TOP STORIES
- First Responders Prepare for Possible Surge in Deadly Carfentanil Use<
- Bill Would Let N.H. Parents Use State Funds for Private Or Home Schools
- N.H. Continues to Make Millions off Alcohol, But Spends Little to Curb Impact
- N.H. ACLU: Bill Would “Effectively Criminalize” Legitimate New Hampshire Voters
- In the Most Yankee of Traditions, A “Repair Cafe” Lanches in Peterborough
- N.H. DOT Produces Tutorial On How to Navigate Two-Lane Roundabouts
MAY TOP STORIES
- After Nashua’s Daniel Webster College Signs Off, What’s Next For Students and Staff?
- Why Did the Citizens of Lisbon, N.H. Revolt?
- With No Oversight, How Sober is “Sober Living” in New Hampshire?
- Quebec Manufacturer Announces Plans to Expand to Berlin, N.H.
- After a Decade of Saying No, N.H. Senate Poised to Support Marijuana Decriminalization
JUNE TOP STORIES
- Mexican Restaurant in N.H. Shuts Down After Immigration Raid
- 84 Great Danes Rescued From Alleged Puppy Mill in Wolfeboro
- Marijuana Decriminalization Set to Become Law in N.H.
- Gov. Sununu Says He “Stands By” Trump’s Decision to Withdraw From Paris Accord
- “You’re Full of #S*@!” At N.H. Parole Board, Tough Talk Can Veer to the Profane
- Concord Refugee Faces Charges, Barriers and Misunderstanding
- Solving The Mystery of the Great Wall of Sandwich, N.H.
JULY TOP STORIES
- Sec. of State Gardner: N.H. Will Provide Public Voter Information to Trump Election Commission
- You Asked, We Answered: Why Does N.H. Still Require Annual Car Inspections?
- You Asked, We Answered: Is N.H.’s Craft Beer Hype Actually Brewing Big Business?
- You Asked, We Answered: What Happened To The People in That N.H. Ghost Town?
- An Arts Festival, a Curmudgeon, and Legacy of Two Sisters Collide in Portsmouth
- Sununu Signs Marijuana Decriminalization Bill
- Manchester VA Director, Chief of Staff Removed Pending Investigation
AUGUST TOP STORIES
- White Nationalist Who Participated in Charlottesville Clashes Lives in Keene
- Three Children Among 25 Undocumented Immigrants Detained at N.H. Highway Checkpoint
- Solar Eclipse Viewing Parties Planned Across N.H.
- You Asked, We Answered: Are There Secret Archaeological Sites in N.H.?
- In Tiny Hancock, N.H., A Synchronized Swimming Team Like No Other
- Indonesian Christians Face Trump’s Deportation Crackdown
SEPTEMBER TOP STORIES
- State Authorities Helping in Investigation of Alleged Race-Based Attack in Claremont
- Uncle: Claremont Police Didn’t Act Until Alleged Lynching Attack on Boy Got Publicity
- Special Series: Alternatives - N.H. Gets Creative to Curb Ongoing Opioid Crisis
- Swimming to Church: the Island Chapel on a New Hampshire Lake
- You Asked, We Answered: Why Does Portsmouth Shut Down at 9 p.m.?
- Risk, Decisions, and Death in the Presidentials
- N.H.'s Marijuana Decriminalization Law Now in Effect, But Do People Know Pot's Still Illegal?
- You Asked, We Answered: Does N.H. Have a Signature Food?
- Data on Out-of-State IDs Fuels Cries of ‘Fraud’ in 2016 Election
OCTOBER TOP STORIES
- Update: N.H. Sees Widespread Damage From Severe Wind, Rainstorm
- The Heroin Diaries: Wife of Overdose Victim Discovers Videos Chronicling His Struggle
- Storm Damage: Swollen River Destroys House in Warren, N.H.
- In N.H.’s North Country, ATV Tourism Revs Up Culture Clash
- New Hampshire May Get a Free Commuter Rail Line...And Not for the First Time
- You Asked, We Answered: How Come No One Knows Wood Smoke is Bad for You?
- Congresswoman Shea-Porter Won't Seek Re-election
- The Sound of Money: Can ATVs Reinvigorate N.H.'s North Country Economy?
- Crews Battle Forest Fire on Kinsman Ridge in Woodstock
NOVEMBER TOP STORIES
- You Asked, We Answered: What’s Up With That ‘Chicken Farmer I Still Love You’ Rock?
- Outside/In: Powerline Series
- Judge Blocks Attempt By New London Doctor to Reopen Practice
- No, The Maura Murray Case Has Not Been ‘Reopened’
- How Trump’s ‘America First’ Trade Policy is Reshaping N.H.’s Lumber Industry
- Live Free? Die? Decades-Old Fight Over N.H. Motto to Get Supreme Court Shout-out
- You Asked, We Answered: Why Doesn’t Everyone Wear Seat Belts in N.H.?
- How Guns from N.H. Ended Up in the Hands of the Indonesian Secret Service
- Export Rules Take The Wind Out of N.H. Bagpipe Company
- Behind Planned Mosque in Keene, a 'Redneck Muslim' With Libertarian Ties
DECEMBER TOP STORIES
- Women Lobbyists, Legislators Describe Coping with Harassment at N.H. Statehouse
- Vermin Supreme hosts ‘Pony Parade’ Protest Outside Clinton Event in Concord
- To Promote Diversity, N.H. City Will Fly an Atheist Flag Over Ten Commandments
- Trove of Skis Could Be Treasure, Or It Could Be Trash
- To Understand Great Bay's Decline (And How To Stop It), Start on the Water
- 'Creekman' Swims for Ukulele Kids Club in Daring Stunt